QUESTIONS (with guidance on sources):
1. ‘A chess game played in real life’ – How convincing is this as a definition of strategy in an uncertain world? Your answer should make reference to historical views of business strategy.
Most strategy textbooks in the library will have a chapter/section on these topics and relevant examples/cases.
2. Which is more strategically important to large companies; control over their own workforce, over the political system, or both?
3. Are the strategies of criminal and corporate organizations more similar than we might imagine?
Most, if not all strategy textbooks in the library will have a chapter/section on this topic and relevant examples/cases: In textbooks the discussion tends to come under ‘corporate social responsibility’ or ‘ethics’.
4. What is a ‘business model’, and why do organizations sometimes find it so hard to change theirs?
5. In their drive for greater efficiency, are organisations in the UK public sector ‘hitting the target but missing the point’?
6. How do companies use global strategy to gain competitive advantage?