Must include APA citations
Task #1 should include examples from
Peak, K. J. (2012). Policing America: Challenges and best practices (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall. Chapter 8
Must be original work, not plagiarize.
PART I: SHORT RESPONSE
Task #1: Please answer each of the following questions. Ensure that your responses are at least 1-2 paragraphs in length for each question. You may include examples from the text; however, please include APA citations as necessary. Please visit the Academic Resource Center for a concise guide on APA format.
1. Describe how stress can affect an officer’s work.
2. Describe six stressors originating both internally and externally to the police organization.
3. Explain the Fair Labor Standards Act and how it has affected policing.
4. Explain the three models of collective bargaining, and show with a diagram how a bargaining table would look as it is composed of personnel on both the management and labor sides.
5. Outline the protections generally afforded by state-level Police Officers Bill of Rights.
6. Describe the general process to be followed when an officer wishes to file a grievance.
7. Describe the history and purposes of police unions.
8. In what areas do private police (security) officers pose concerns?
9. What are some advantages and disadvantages of having college-educated police officers?
Task #2: Use the Internet to research programs that help police officers deal with stress and answer the following questions. Please include APA citations as necessary. Please visit the Academic Resource Center for a concise guide on APA format.
- What programs are in place to support police officers?
- Who conducts and supports them?
- How are the programs communicated to the officers?
- What is the rate of use by police officers of these programs?
Save and submit your assignment.
PART II: JOURNAL ACTIVITY
Find a new article using LIRN (please visit the Academic Resource Center for a guide on how to use LIRN effectively) or the Internet reporting a story involving the nature of stress in policing and summarize the article in 200-400 pages. Please include APA citations as necessary. Please visit the Academic Resource Center for a concise guide on APA format.